express entry programs

Express Entry Programs

  1. Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal skilled worker program is an Express Entry program used by the government to choose candidates as permanent residents based on their work experience, education, knowledge of English and/or French and other factors that allow them to become economically established in Canada. A candidate who applies to this program can live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec because this province has its own program to select skilled workers. In 2016, 65.610 candidates got their permanent residence as skilled workers and during the first half of 2017, 20.590 candidates have become permanent residents due to this program. The Canadian government assesses a candidate on six selection factors, education, language skills, age, experience, arranged employment in Canada and adaptability, but before this assessment the candidate has to fulfill with three minimum requirements. A candidate needs a score of at least 67 points to qualify as a federal skilled worker.

Federal Skilled Worker Program minimum requirements

The first minimum requirement is work experience. It has to be voluntary, remunerated and in the same type of job according to the primary NOC (National Occupational Classification) for at least one year, within the last ten years. According to the IRCC, NOC is a system that classifies jobs or occupations based on the type of job duties or the work a person does. It is important to know that a candidate has to comply with at least 1.560 hours either full time job, part time or full time at more than one job. Candidates can get up to 15 points according to the number of years  they have spent in full-time paid work.

The second minimum requirement is language ability, the candidate has to take a test and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities for English or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) 7 for French, it means an adequate intermediate level. An important fact is that any candidate can get up to 28 points if he or she score CLB 9 in English and at least CLB5 in all of the four abilities for French. Test results must not be more than two years old on the day a candidate apply for a permanent residence and all this information has to be included in the Express Entry Profile.

The third minimum requirement is education, people who went to school in Canada must have certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school. Meanwhile, people who have foreign education must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency in order to show that your foreign education is equal to Canadian education. Candidates with a University degree at the Doctoral (PhD) level or equal can get 25 points and for a University degree at the Master’s level or University level entry-to-practice professional degree (or equal), a candidate can get up to 23 points.

Too much to worry about? Immigration Pros can help you with all of them.

  1. Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal skilled trades program is an Express Entry program allows candidates to become permanent residents if they are qualified in a skilled trade and if they fulfill the minimum requirements. People who apply their permanent residence through this program have to plan live outside of Quebec because this Province has its own Skilled Trade Program. Moreover, they have to meet minimum language abilities in English or French and also take a test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The minimum level for English is CLB5 for speaking and listening and CLB4 for reading and writing. Candidate’s test results must not be more than two years old on the day he or she apply for permanent residence. Another minimum requirement is work experience, candidates must have at least two years of experience within the five years before they apply, either part-time, full time or work experience at more than one job. Furthermore, they have to meet the job requirements for the specific skilled trade according to the National Occupational Classification. Another important requirement is to have either an offer of full time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in the specific trade issued by a Canadian province or territory. An important fact of this program is that education level is not required, however it is important to get point under the Express Entry System. According to the IRCC, 1.390 candidates have been admitted in the first half of 2017 through this Program. Doubts? Call Immigration Pros and get more information about Federal Skilled Trade Program.

  1. Canadian Experience Class

Canadian experience class is a permanent resident category for candidates with skilled work experience in Canada. Canadian government developed this category for foreign graduates with qualifying Canadian work experience and for temporary foreigners. Candidates who apply permanent residence through CEC have to fulfil with some minimum requirements. Candidates must have at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada during the last three years before they apply, either full time or part time job. An important fact is that, work experience just counts after the completion of the course of study. In fact, any work experience while candidates study does not count for them. In addition, the work experience has to be gained while the candidate has a legal temporary resident status as a worker. Another factor is that candidates have to show their language ability. The minimum score for English is CLB7 for NOC A jobs or NOC 0 or CLB5 for NOC B jobs. It is important to mention that NOC 0 are Managerial jobs, NOC A are professional jobs and NOC B are technical jobs and skilled trades. According to the IRCC during 2015, 8.993 candidates were admitted as permanent residents through managerial jobs, 27.348 new permanent residents through professional jobs and 22.700 candidates were admitted as permanent residents through skilled and technical jobs. Furthermore, in the first half of 2017, 14.500 candidates have been admitted as permanent residents due to Canadian Experience Class. Canadian Experience class has some steps and requirements to have an adequate application for permanent residence, Immigration Pros has extensive experience to deal with this type of case, call us for consultation.

  1. Provincial Nominee Program

This program is used by provinces and territories in Canada to nominate immigrants that contribute to the economy of the province or territory based on their education, work experience and skills. It is important to mention that each province/territory has its own criteria for the PNP according to the market needs. Provinces and territories can nominate business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers and also students. This program has become increasingly important for candidates who want to get the permanent residence in Canada. In fact, 219.121 candidates have been admitted through this program since 2012. Furthermore, in the first half of 2017, 27.857 candidates have been admitted as permanent residents through the Provincial Nominee Program. An important fact is that, candidates in the Express Entry pool who are nominated from a province, can get 600 points in the CRS. There are two ways to apply for a Express Entry Provincial Nominee. First, a candidate can contact a Canada Nominee Program and apply for a nomination under the specific province’s Express Entry stream. After being accepted, the candidate has to create an Express Entry profile in order to accept the nominations. The second  way is to first create an Express Entry profile to show in which province or territory the candidate wants to live and work and wait for a notification of interest of the specific province or territory and then apply under its Express Entry Stream. Do you qualify for any of the programs listed above? Immigration Pros can help you with all the process to get your permanent residence!


Immigration & Service Canada have taken measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As Immigration Experts we are totally aware of these changes. We are very experienced in providing 100% online services for Canada and abroad.     Call us for FREE